The Miami Valley Career Technology Center (MVCTC) BPA Officers held their first meeting on Wednesday, September 13. The meeting included:
- Introductions of this year’s officers.
- A student one-minute speech from each career-technical program.
- An alumni panel Q&A.
The 2023-2024 BPA Officers
- President – Avery Brewer (Media and Video Production/Miamisburg)
- Vice President – Courtney Benton (Media and Video Production/Northmont)
- Secretary – Za’ Raya Lehman (Medical Office Management/Huber Heights)
- Parliamentarian – Zane Wiley (Business Ownership/Vandalia-Butler)
- Treasurer – Nicolas Stewart (Computer Networking & Cybersecurity/Miamisburg)
- Public Relations – Ian McConachie (Computer Networking & Cybersecurity/Tri-Village)
The BPA meeting started with Courtney Benton introducing the new officers, followed by Mr. Carlisle installing the new officers with the pinning ceremony. The BPA pledge recitation followed the pinning ceremony’s conclusion, led by Avery and Courtney. Following the recitation of the BPA pledge, a spokesperson from each of the nine career-technical programs involved in BPA gave a 1-minute speech about their respective lab. BPA is all about professionalism and getting involved with the community. As explained by five of the six BPA officers, students are rewarded for these acts through Torch Awards.
The next section of the meeting beheld a graduate panel of MVCTC Alumni who spoke about the benefits of attending MVCTC and how it has led to their success past high school. Many graduates have high-paying jobs, and two past students have even started their own video company. The audience seemed to grasp what information they could, shown by the abundance of questions.
The meeting ended with Mrs. Watts speaking for Mrs. Sugden (Region Three advisor), reminding everyone what it means to be a part of BPA Region Three and then the Pledge of Allegiance. A round of applause for the 2023-2024 BPA Officers for reinstating the importance of BPA for students entering the business world.
What is BPA?
Members of Business Professionals of America will be encouraged to “Seize the Opportunity” throughout the 2023–2024 membership year. This theme aims to highlight the many opportunities for involvement in BPA provides for student members.
- Career Exploration—Explore career pathways and learn about in-demand careers and skills employers value.
- Competitive Events—Vie for top honors while demonstrating proficiency in business and information technology events in the Workplace Skills Assessment Program.
- Leadership—Enhance leadership prowess by participating in informative workshops; attending the Student Leadership Summit; or serving in leadership positions at the chapter, regional, state, and national levels.
- Networking—Make new friends and meet industry professionals while also expanding social and professional networks.
- Service—Engage in service activities that improve schools and communities—and even earn awards for outstanding service achievements.
- Industry Certification—Acquire valuable industry certifications that provide independent verification of an individual’s knowledge and skills while attending the National Leadership Conference.
Events and activities throughout the year will emphasize these opportunities. The year will culminate with the 2024 National Leadership Conference, which will be held May 10–14 in Chicago, Illinois.